[A3|Milestone 4] Sending replies

Moderator: Praktikum: Internet

LukasRos
Mausschubser
Mausschubser

[A3|Milestone 4] Sending replies

Beitrag von LukasRos » 28. Jan 2008 17:03

I'm working on Milestone 4 and got stuck when trying to send a reply to the sender to tell him to change redundancy settings.
My code is this:

Code: Alles auswählen

TypedMap rmap = new TypedMap();
rmap.putInt("new_rate_advice", sender.suggestedNewRedundancyRate());
rmap.putInt("sender_id", 0);
rmap.putInt("seq", 0);
Message reply = new Message(rmap);
reply.put("payload", "bin", new Blob());
putHeader(reply, "correction", rmap);

sendReply(msg, reply);
Yes, I know that I place the information twice - once in the "general" map and as additional headers, that was done intentionally.
But what I get is a NullPointerException from BinCollectHandler, pointing to the serializeString. What does this handler expect here, how can I format my reply message so that it is accepted?

erwin.ait
Erstie
Erstie

Re: [A3|Milestone 4] Sending replies

Beitrag von erwin.ait » 28. Jan 2008 20:28

Looks like you forgot msg.setType(mimeType); Please see samples/handlers/ex4 how to send reply messages.

sander
Nichts ist wie es scheint

Beitrag von sander » 29. Jan 2008 21:27

Hi!

For MS4 our handler uses reply messages to control the amount of redundancy. After sending a certain number of messages our handler adds a XOR message. If the handler on the receiver side notices packet loss it informs the handler on the sender side to increase the amount of redundancy by sending a reply message:

TypedMap ctrl = new TypedMap();
        ctrl.putString("request", "control");
        ctrl.putString("mode", "set");
        ctrl.putInt("adjustment", i);
        Message ctrlMsg = new Message();
        putHeader(ctrlMsg, "fec", ctrl);
        ctrlMsg.setType(mimeType);
        sendReply(msg, ctrlMsg);
        resetReceiver(i);
The problem is, that if our TestSender-Application send it's messages to fast, our handler does not receive these control messages in time:

for (int i=1; i<=NUM_MESSAGES; i++)
	    {
	      TypedMap map = new TypedMap();
	      map.putInt("seq", i);
	      Message msg = new Message(map);
	      if (payload!=null)
	        msg.put("payload", "bin", payload);
	      publisher.send(msg);

numMsgSent++;	      
	      Thread.sleep(1);
	    }
If we increase the time between 2 messages from Thread.sleep(1) to Thread.sleep(100) everything seems to work.

Is there a way to make the handler wait for a control message before sending further messages?

erwin.ait
Erstie
Erstie

Beitrag von erwin.ait » 30. Jan 2008 13:44

Thread.sleep(1) means basically that you are trying to send 1000 messages/sec. Depending on the speed of your computer, this might already be close to the limit. Maybe use something like Thread.sleep(10).
sander hat geschrieben: The problem is, that if our TestSender-Application send it's messages to fast, our handler does not receive these control messages in time:
It should be no problem if your handler receives the control message a bit delayed. In addition, sending a control message for each received data packet would cause too much additional traffic.
sander hat geschrieben: Is there a way to make the handler wait for a control message before sending further messages?
The overall design of the handler should be asynchronous and not synchronous. Don't introduce such tight couplings between data and control messages.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Praktikum: Internet“