Methodolgy of Teaching System totally disagree

Moderator: Concepts and Technologies for DS and BDP

riyad786
Erstie
Erstie

Methodolgy of Teaching System totally disagree

Beitrag von riyad786 »

Dear Responsible person,

I apologize to post this type of message in the Forum. Nevertheless, I have also right to say about the courses. Some issues have been raised from today Scala session. I want to mention some aspects which I think Dear Ph.D. Guido. should concern about this.

First of all.

1. This course is only 3 Credit point, but for this 3 Credit point, we have to program on two different platforms simultaneously Java and Scala, For the Hadoop Map Reduce we need Java to execute our given exercise, And from today we have to learn now Scala. Dear Ph.D. Guido. Do you think that only Hadoop Map Reduce can anyone learn within a night? If then I would not attend this course. If you have the intention to put Java Hadoop MapReduce and Scala MapReduce code in the exam then this course should be 6 credits, not 3 credits.

2. The way Ph.D. Guido teaching I found very interactive. Because I can interact with him during lecture session. But other than Guido, they are also good but not better for Students. You can survey it!

3. My third question is, are we learning by heart or by the brain? Becuase If this course is pressurized to the student then we will be taught for passing exam not getting good knowledge about Big data. If we learn for passing the exam, then after the exam the knowledge will be erased from the brain.

This is my humble request please think this.

meichholz

Re: Methodolgy of Teaching System totally disagree

Beitrag von meichholz »

Hi,
riyad786 hat geschrieben:
19. Mai 2017 11:32
1. This course is only 3 Credit point, but for this 3 Credit point, we have to program on two different platforms simultaneously Java and Scala, For the Hadoop Map Reduce we need Java to execute our given exercise, And from today we have to learn now Scala. Dear Ph.D. Guido. Do you think that only Hadoop Map Reduce can anyone learn within a night? If then I would not attend this course. If you have the intention to put Java Hadoop MapReduce and Scala MapReduce code in the exam then this course should be 6 credits, not 3 credits.
Scala also runs on the Java Virtual Machine, so I don't see where you have to program on different platforms. We just used Java because Hadoop is written in Java, however, since you can mix Java and Scala, it is totally fine to write MapReduce Jobs in Scala. Besides this, this course is targeted at master students and we assume that you are already familiar with Java. What we want to teach you, is the concept behind the MapReduce programming model, which is always the same, independent of the implementation.
2. The way Ph.D. Guido teaching I found very interactive. Because I can interact with him during lecture session. But other than Guido, they are also good but not better for Students. You can survey it!
I am sure that the other lecturers will also be happy to answer questions in between, or what is your concern at this point.
3. My third question is, are we learning by heart or by the brain? Becuase If this course is pressurized to the student then we will be taught for passing exam not getting good knowledge about Big data. If we learn for passing the exam, then after the exam the knowledge will be erased from the brain.
This is exactly the reason why we show you different ways how MapReduce can be applied in practice. On the one hand, you learn how to apply MapReduce in the context of a distributed data processing framework (Hadoop) and on the other hand, you learn that the concept is not limited to data processing but also available in functional programming (Scala). If we just present you the theory behind MapReduce, you would (maybe) learn it by heart for the exam and that's it.

Best,
Matthias

riyad786
Erstie
Erstie

Re: Methodolgy of Teaching System totally disagree

Beitrag von riyad786 »

Dear Meichholz,

Thanks for the reply. I am afraid that I have to strongly differ on your some points.
'' Besides this, this course is targeted at master students and we assume that you are already familiar with Java. What we want to teach you, is the concept behind the MapReduce programming model, which is always the same, independent of the implementation."
Your assumption would not be 100 percent right, because there are a lot of students among us don't familiar with Java properly, e.g. myself. Writing program and copying program are totally different. We are learning. I know Scala can run Java Platform. But the question was, we have to program simultaneously two different languages one is Java another is Scala for one course. Martin Odesky, you know him better than me, says If you want to write the program in Scala you need at least 2 years Java experience.[Ref. Coursera Scala Basic Course]. So, I am learning now Java and how can I code within one night in Scala. Is it fair enough? And If you think one semester we are taking only one 3 credits course then I don't know what should I say. I don't have any problem with Java but Scala!!!!!!!!

''What we want to teach you, is the concept behind the MapReduce programming model'',
then why are you not trying to teach us with R, Python etc. on MapReduce Programming Model. If you want to try to give us concept then why are you not teaching us Pseudo-Algorithm for MapReduce instead of any kind of specific syntactical programming language for the concept.

"what is your concern at this point."

My point was, last Scala session the lecturer was not so interactive. He was doing code like someone is the predefined program.

However, Please don't take it another way. I am trying my best to get something from the course not only passing the exam. Even though I am not sure whether I will write the exam or not because my speed of cadence is breaking down. Nevertheless, hope that from the upcoming semester, you will concern more.

With best Regards
riyad

Antworten

Zurück zu „Archiv“