prabhjot
Erstie
Erstie

RCFAE Interpreter

Beitrag von prabhjot » 4. Mär 2017 21:37

Code: Alles auswählen

case Rec(boundId, namedExpr, boundBody) => {
      val recEnv = collection.mutable.Map() ++ env
      recEnv += boundId -> interp(namedExpr, recEnv)
      interp(boundBody, recEnv)
    }
what is the use of adding an empty map to env which is already a Map ?

I think, I understood the idea behind the implementation, but I cannot understand that with this piece of code. To me it does not look much different than

env + (boundId -> interp(namedExpr, env))
What am I missing ??

Ragnar
Mausschubser
Mausschubser

Re: RCFAE Interpreter

Beitrag von Ragnar » 5. Mär 2017 08:37

The first line:

val recEnv = collection.mutable.Map() ++ env
has the result, that `recEnv` is a mutable map, which contains all elements from `env`. This is important, so that mutating `recEnv` does not change env.
The second line is a bit tricky, because it uses and modifies the same map in a single statement, so here evaluation order is very important.

recEnv += boundId -> interp(namedExpr, recEnv)
let me make the evaluation order a bit more explicit, this will behave exactly as the line before:

val recursiveBoundValue = interp(namedExpr, recEnv)
recEnv += boundId -> recursiveBoundValue
what you can see here, is that we evaluate the `namedExpr` in the `recEnv`.
Because this is a recursive definition, `namedExpr` may contain references to the `boundId`, but `boundId` is not yet in the `recEnv`, because we only know the `recursiveBoundValue` after the evaluation.
So we evaluate `namedExpr` in the `recEnv` and require that the `boundId` is not immediately used (which would result in infinite recursion anyways), but only used guarded inside a closure.
Afterwards we fix `recEnv` by putting the correct value at `boundId`. And because this is a mutable map, this change will also be visible everywhere `recEnv` was used (captured by a closure) inside of `namedExpr`.

prabhjot
Erstie
Erstie

Re: RCFAE Interpreter

Beitrag von prabhjot » 5. Mär 2017 12:24

Thanks for explaining, it is clear now.

I missed this -
So we evaluate `namedExpr` in the `recEnv` and require that the `boundId` is not immediately used (which would result in infinite recursion anyways), but only used guarded inside a closure.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Archiv“