Dynamic/Lexical Scoping with Substitution

Kineese
BASIC-Programmierer
BASIC-Programmierer

Dynamic/Lexical Scoping with Substitution

Beitrag von Kineese »

Hi there,
in the todays practice I thought I mentioned out that immediate substitution always uses static scoping, because each substitution traverses the whole Sub-AST (that is what I noticed). But on an other page of my notes I have written that immediate substitution never uses static scoping.

My opinion is that my first assumption (immediate subst. --> static scoping) is the correct one, caused of the traversation of the whole AST (guess that isn't the real reason).

I try to explain it with the following example:

Code: Alles auswählen

n=23
f()
print(n)
def f(){
 n = 42
}
The n = 23 expression could be seen as an With-Expression. With immediate substitution, we try to replace all (free!) occurrences of n with 23.

Code: Alles auswählen

f()
print(23)
def f(){
 n =42
}
At least we see that the function f don't have any effects (static scoping) on n, so that the print(n) will result to 23.

Does someone agrees my explaination?

greets
K.

Edit:
In addition, if we currently use deferred substitution with dynamic scope and want to switch it to static scoping, we need the introduce the closure, so the environment wont be lost at function-definition. Am I right???

Seldon
BASIC-Programmierer
BASIC-Programmierer

Re: Dynamic/Lexical Scoping with Substitution

Beitrag von Seldon »

Yes, your reasoning is right (cf. lecture 2, slides 36 and 77 et seqq.).

Kineese
BASIC-Programmierer
BASIC-Programmierer

Beitrag von Kineese »

Seldon hat geschrieben:Yes, your reasoning is right (cf. lecture 2, slides 36 and 77 et seqq.).
Thanks for you answer.. but I guess you mean my first Question ( Immediate Subst. --> Static Scoping)
Can you agree with my 2nd answer? (Deffered Subst. and dynamic scope switch to static --> Closure)

Seldon
BASIC-Programmierer
BASIC-Programmierer

Beitrag von Seldon »

I mean both, p. 77 and onwards talks about the scoping problems with first class functions, introducing closures ;) With first order functions, all we had to do to eliminate dynamic scoping was to start with a fresh environment.

Kineese
BASIC-Programmierer
BASIC-Programmierer

Beitrag von Kineese »

Okay thanks for the answer!

Antworten

Zurück zu „Archiv“