Exam Check-List: Discussion on Part 04 - Lazy Evaluation

FeG
Endlosschleifenbastler
Endlosschleifenbastler

Exam Check-List: Discussion on Part 04 - Lazy Evaluation

Beitrag von FeG »

Hi,

below my solution to the fourth topic of the exam check-list (-> spoiler alert...).

Best,
Felix

1. What is the difference between call-by-name and call-by need?

Call-by-name: Argument expression provided to a function is evaluated within the function whenever it is needed (possibly multiple times).

Call-by-need: Argument expression provided to a function is evaluated at most once, and then the result is cached for further uses.
  2. Explain the implementation strategy of lazy evaluation. How does it solve the efficiency problems of lazy substitution?

Only evaluate expressions at pre-defined strict points and use expression closures to carry the define-time environment along with the later-to-be-evaluated expressions. Solve efficiency of lazy substitution by substitution caches that remember (via mutable values, e.g., boxes) the value of an expression, once computed.
  3. Given two programs (with erroneous subexpressions), tell which of them fail under a lazy and eager evaluation regime, respectively.

a)

Code: Alles auswählen

{with {x y} {if0 0 1 x}}

Fails with eager evaluation (as y is undefined), but returns 1 with lazy evaluation (as x's bound expression is never evaluated).

b)

{with {x 1} {with {y {/ 2 x}} {seqn {set x 0} y}}}

Fails with lazy evaluation, as y is calculated with x set to 0, but returns 2 with eager evalution (as division is performed immediately while x = 1.
  4. Give an example program where lazy evaluation is more efficient than eager evaluation (evaluates in less steps). Explain why.

{with {x {+ 1 1}} 1}

With lazy evaluation, the value of x is never computed (as never used), so it save one step for the addition.
  5. Given a program, tell what is it computational complexity under a lazy and eager evaluation regime, respectively.

{with {x {+ 1 1}} 1}

Lazy evaluation: 2 steps (process with, output 1)

Eager evaluation: 3 steps (process with, therefor evaluate named expression "{+ 1 1}", output 1)
  6. Explain the difference between lazy evaluation and memoization.

Lazy evaluation caches the evaluated value of some expression currently bound in the environment.

Memoization remembers the result of a function for a specific (set of) argument(s) (e.g., in a hash table), even between function calls in unrelated sub-expressions.
  7. Explain the problems of using lazy evaluation in combination with mutable state.

With mutable state, the value of some expression may change between definition and usage, thus lazy evaluation leads here to a changed (and thus incorrect) value, as mutable values are evaluated at usage time, not at definition time (as with eager evaluation).
  8. Given a fragment of an interpreter tell whether it implements lazy or eager evaluation. How do you recognize it?

(define (interp expr en)
      (type-case CFWAE/L expr
                 [with (bound-id named-expr bound-body)
                       (interp 
                        bound-body (anEnv bound-id (eclosure named-expr en) en))]
                 [app (fun-expr arg-expr)
                      (local ([define fun-value (interp fun-expr en)])
                        (interp 
                         (fclosure-body fun-value) 
                         (anEnv 
                          (fclosure-param fun-value) 
                          (eclosure arg-expr en) 
                          (fclosure-env fun-value))))]))

Interpreter implements lazy evaluation, as the binding in [with ...] clause is stored in an expression closure, where the named-expr is not directly evaluated, but kept for later, lazy evaluation. Similarly, on function application, the arg-expr is not interpreted but passed as-is in an expression closure.
  9. Given an interpreter fragment implementing lazy evaluation, find an error and fix it.

; cached lazy evaluation
    (define (interp expr en)
      (type-case CFWAE/L expr
                 [num (n) (numb n)]
                 [add (l r) (numb (+ (numb-n (strict (interp l en))) (numb-n (strict (interp r en)))))]
                 [sub (l r) (numb (- (numb-n (strict (interp l en))) (numb-n (strict (interp r en)))))]
                 [with (bound-id named-expr bound-body)
                       (interp 
                        bound-body (anEnv bound-id (eclosure (strict (interp named-expr en)) en (box false)) en))]
                 [id (v) (strict (lookup v en))]
                 [fun (arg body) (fclosure arg body en)]
                 [if0 (test-expr then-expr else-expr) 
                      (if (zero? (numb-n (interp test-expr en))) 
                          (interp then-expr en) 
                          (interp else-expr en))]
                 [app (fun-expr arg-expr)
                      (local ([define fun-value (strict (interp fun-expr en))])
                        (interp 
                         (fclosure-body fun-value) 
                         (anEnv 
                          (fclosure-param fun-value) 
                          (eclosure arg-expr en (box false)) 
                          (fclosure-env fun-value))))]))

a) [with ...] clause: named-expr should not be strictly evaluated here, but kept as-is for later lazy evaluation, if needed
    b) [if0 ...] clause: strict evaluation of test-expr is needed.
  10. What is stored in expression closures? Why they are necessary?

An expression closure stores (beside the expression) the environment in which the expression shall be evaluted, i.e., the definition-time environment. This is needed, as the environment possibly has changed where the expression is needed, but it should not be evaluated in the new, changed environment, but in the environment at definition time.
  11. Describe the environment (including function and expression closures) at certain points in the given program, assuming an interpreter with lazy evaluation.

{with {x {+ 1 2}} {with {f {fun {y} {+ x y}}} {f 0}}}

Directly before evaluation of "{f 0}", the environment looks like this:

env = (
        x -> (eclosure: expr={+ 1 2}, env=emptyEnv),
        f -> (fclosure: param=y, body={+ x y}, env=( x -> (eclosure: expr={+ 1 2}, env=emptyEnv) ) )
        )

12. Given a definition of an infinite list, compute its first n elements. What sequence does it implement? What is the program’s computational complexity?

foo = 2 : zipWith (*) foo foo

Implements the sequence (a_i) with a_0 = 2 and a_i+1 = a_i^2. Complexity is linear.
  13. Implement an infinite list according the given specification.

Implement an infinit fibonacci list.

fib = 0 : 1 : zipWith (+) fib (tail fib)

14. Given a function implementation, explain why it would not work with infinite lists. Fix it.

fun [] = []
    fun (x:y:rest) = (x+1) : (y+1) : (fun rest)

bar = 1 : (fun bar)

Now "bar" doesn't work as infinite list, because "fun" needs the first two elements to compute it's result, but the second element of "bar" first has to be computed by "fun" -- so we have an infinite cycle resulting to, e.g., "take" queries to "bar" never terminating.

Can be fixed like this:

fun [] = []
    fun (x:rest) = (x+1) : (fun rest)

15. Given a function implementation (e.g., from list to list, or to string to string), fix it so that it produces the output incrementally.

@Andreas: I don't understand this task (maybe it's too late... :wink:), could you provide an example?
Zuletzt geändert von FeG am 23. Aug 2012 15:43, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

sewe
Sonntagsinformatiker
Sonntagsinformatiker
Re: Exam Check-List: Discussion on Part 04 - Lazy Evaluation

Beitrag von sewe »

FeG hat geschrieben:2. Explain the implementation strategy of lazy evaluation. How does it solve the efficiency problems of lazy substitution?

Only evaluate expressions at pre-defined strict points and use expression closures to carry the define-time environment along with the later-to-be-evaluated expressions. Solve efficiency of lazy substitution by substitution caches that remember (via mutable values, e.g., boxes) the value of an expression, once computed.
Please don't confuse substitution caches (a synonym for environments used in the first lectures, prior to the introduction of closures) with an expression closure's cache.

Also (not directly related to the above question), think about the difference between function closures (fclosures) and expression closures (eclosures). Which cases in the interpreter (num, add, fun, app, etc.) return which kind of closure? Which kind of closure keeps previously computed values in the case of caching and which closure keeps them in the case of memoization? And how many values are kept per fclosure and eclosure, respectively?

sewe
Sonntagsinformatiker
Sonntagsinformatiker

Beitrag von sewe »

FeG hat geschrieben:15. Given a function implementation (e.g., from list to list, or to string to string), fix it so that it produces the output incrementally.

@Andreas: I don't understand this task (maybe it's too late... :wink:), could you provide an example?
OK, what you want to do is being able to issue a call like head (f xs) without computing the entire result list (f xs) just to get at its first element. In some cases like f = reverse this is not possible, but in other cases it is.

FeG
Endlosschleifenbastler
Endlosschleifenbastler

Beitrag von FeG »

sewe hat geschrieben:OK, what you want to do is being able to issue a call like head (f xs) without computing the entire result list (f xs) just to get at its first element. In some cases like f = reverse this is not possible, but in other cases it is.
Well, I understood what's meant, however only rather contrived examples come to my mind (except for the combine vs. combine2 task 5 from ex. 2012-05-11), e.g., this one:

fun :: (Num a) => [a] -> [a] -> [a]
fun [] _ = []
fun _ [] = []
fun (x1:x2:xs) (y1:y2:ys) = (x1+y1) : (x2+y2) : (fun xs ys)
Fixed (doesn't need to evaluate 2 elements of xs and ys for a head (fun xs ys) call:

fun :: (Num a) => [a] -> [a] -> [a]
fun [] _ = []
fun _ [] = []
fun (x:xs) (y:ys) = (x+y) : (fun xs ys)

sewe
Sonntagsinformatiker
Sonntagsinformatiker

Beitrag von sewe »

FeG hat geschrieben:Well, I understood what's meant, however only rather contrived examples come to my mind (except for the combine vs. combine2 task 5 from ex. 2012-05-11)
I admit that it's not trivial to come up examples. One way to construct one would be a version of the function that requires length l to be known and another that doesn't, but again that's rather contrived.

AlexanderF
BASIC-Programmierer
BASIC-Programmierer

Beitrag von AlexanderF »

FeG hat geschrieben:
b)

{with {x {newbox 1}} {with {y {/ 2 x}} {seqn {set x 0} y}}}
Fails with lazy evaluation, as y is calculated with x set to 0, but returns 2 with eager evalution (as division is performed immediately while x = 1.
I think you mixes mutating via container and direct mutating of identifier.

I think you should write

{with {x 1} {with {y {/ 2 x}} {seqn {set x 0} y}}}
or

{with {x {newbox 1}} {with {y {/ 2 {openbox x}}} {seqn {setbox x 0} y}}}

FeG
Endlosschleifenbastler
Endlosschleifenbastler

Beitrag von FeG »

AlexanderF hat geschrieben:I think you mixes mutating via container and direct mutating of identifier.
You're right. Both of your variants do the job I wanted to illustrate. For shortness I chose the first one using variables and changed my first post. Thanks.

AlexanderF
BASIC-Programmierer
BASIC-Programmierer

Beitrag von AlexanderF »

no problem :-)

Antworten

Zurück zu „Archiv“