2. Exercise - some minor JS issues

mplomer
Neuling
Neuling

2. Exercise - some minor JS issues

Beitrag von mplomer » 16. Mai 2012 18:07

We have some minor remarks/questions regarding the second exercise, mostly relating to client-side JS issues (for now). I realize these are not the real "pain points" of the exercise, but maybe they are still worth mentioning. So here goes:

1. We noticed that the MyLecture.js carries the notion of a "slide set" (in the form of the "theSlidesId" field). However, this field does not seem to be used for anything, and e.g. the key to the browser local store is built based on the window.location (effectively the file name of the HTML file) rather than this slide set ID. So this raises the question: what should we use to identify the slide set in our url patterns? We were aiming for the URL / file name ...

2. The slide IDs within a slide set are numeric. This means that inserting a slide after comments have been added to the slide set will cause the wrong comments to appear on the wrong slide. Maybe it would be sensible to (optionally) use the DOM id of the SLIDE.section (if set by the user) to identify slides for the purposes of the discussion function?

3. A minor non-functional issue: the way we see it, the contents of the discussion pane have to be updated regularly in order to reflect newly added comments. Besides a timer based refresh (or some server-issued push method, which is probably outside the scope of this exercise..) a natural refresh point is the slide change event. Therefore - and seeing that the number of comments can potentially be large - the discussion pane is a good example of a DOM element that could - for reasons of space efficiency - well be shared between slides. Thus, it would be good if the pane could be a sibling of the SECTION.slide element and remain in the DOM across slide changes, but that currently does not seem possible, right?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Michael P.

eichberg
Dozentin/Dozent
Re: 2. Exercise - some minor JS issues

Beitrag von eichberg » 17. Mai 2012 11:11

1. We noticed that the MyLecture.js carries the notion of a "slide set" (in the form of the "theSlidesId" field). However, this field does not seem to be used for anything, and e.g. the key to the browser local store is built based on the window.location (effectively the file name of the HTML file) rather than this slide set ID.
Correct.
So this raises the question: what should we use to identify the slide set in our url patterns? We were aiming for the URL / file name ...
You could use "theSlidesId". I would not recommend to use the file name, but be prepared for a corresponding questions.
2. The slide IDs within a slide set are numeric. This means that inserting a slide after comments have been added to the slide set will cause the wrong comments to appear on the wrong slide. Maybe it would be sensible to (optionally) use the DOM id of the SLIDE.section (if set by the user) to identify slides for the purposes of the discussion function?
You are absolutely right! However, as part of this exercise it is 100% OK not to deal with this issue and to just use the numeric value.
3. A minor non-functional issue: the way we see it, the contents of the discussion pane have to be updated regularly in order to reflect newly added comments. Besides a timer based refresh (or some server-issued push method, which is probably outside the scope of this exercise..) a natural refresh point is the slide change event. Therefore - and seeing that the number of comments can potentially be large - the discussion pane is a good example of a DOM element that could - for reasons of space efficiency - well be shared between slides. Thus, it would be good if the pane could be a sibling of the SECTION.slide element and remain in the DOM across slide changes, but that currently does not seem possible, right?
Based on real experience (In the last years, I used various systems that enabled students to comment on single slides), I know that this feature is used, but there are never "many" comments. Hence, there is (from my point of view) no need to change the basic idea of myslides (changing everything when the slide changes) for such optimizations. Furthermore, this way we do get the feature for free that the comments pane is only shown on those slides where I want(ed) to see them.

Antworten

Zurück zu „Archiv“