1. Exercise

eichberg
Dozentin/Dozent
1. Exercise

Beitrag von eichberg » 2. Mai 2012 09:06

We have some questions about excercise 1.
Right now we are unsure how complex you except our framework to be.
This is no question were we want a concret answer,
but a hint to have a better understanding what is expected from us.

If we think about a UML drawing framework, we can think about very different ones.
And we can think about very complex routing algorithm for the lines connecting classes together and arranging them nicely.
(This seems to be difficult as even the full grown open source program Dia is not doing a very good job with this.)
Or we have just a easy drawing framework, where you can put classes on a certain position and specify the route
of a line with the position of each segment.

The complexity of the both approaches vary a lot, as the time will vary we would need to develop such
algorithms.
This is why we write you, because we can think of such different things that we are afraid of doing it to
complex or to simple.

Along with this question comes another to our mind. What the aim is. So we can concentrate our affort on
the things which matter the most in this excercise. At first we thought it as a training
for developing javascript, but if the domain model gets to complex we will put the most effort into the domain
model.

As said during the presentation of the exercise. The primary aim is that you show decent JavaScript Skills. That is, that your are able to develop a small, extensible framework using the programming language's abstractions (Prototypal Inheritance, Closures, Function Objects,...). The framework has to be easy to use (when I want to specify a UML diagram) and has to be maintainable and evolvable (when I want to support further UML entities).

Hence, I do not expect you to develop a framework that is able to automatically layout (more) complex UML diagrams. Your framework should - however - be able to (semi-)automatically layout diagrams which have a complexity as shown in the exercise slides; your framework should be able to deal with a "handful" of classes and dependencies. Furthermore, it is Ok if the specification of the diagram has to contain rendering hints. For example, to state that this class has to be placed above another class, or below another class. It may even be ok if you adopt a strategy where the user has to specify a virtual grid and has to specify in which cell each UML class has to be put. In short: it is perfectly ok if the user has to provide some layout constraints or layout information that helps your framework to do the actual layout; i.e., to determine the precise pixels where to put an element given the current style information. Having said that, it is not ok, if the specification of the UML class diagram has to be adapted because some CSS was changed. Recall, you are expected to use CSS for setting the font sizes, colors, etc.. Keep all styling information out of the JavaScript code.

Does this answer your questions?

Zurück zu „Archiv“