Feedback on the exam

Alloc
Erstie
Erstie
Feedback on the exam

Beitrag von Alloc »

Hi,

just a short feedback on the UML exercise: I think it's kinda unfair to have one task in the exercise make up for about 40% of the total achievable points. Even more so as the subtasks followed up on each other. That means if you don't get the first part correct you can basically only achieve 60% of the points in the exam. As the required amount of points to pass the exam is probably 50% it's hard to pass with just the other tasks.

I think it would have been better to have that split up somehow (like a different *given* UML diagram for the subtasks b and following ones) or give more points for other tasks (e.g. by having more of them in relation to this task).

That's just a note on this specific task / point distribution. I think the others were ok.

Regards,
Chris

d120
Neuling
Neuling

Re: Feedback on the exam

Beitrag von d120 »

Hi,

I think as well that it would have been a better approach to split the UML excercise.
Since b and c are based on the design decisions made in a.

Like alloc already said an other given UML diagram for b and c would have been better.
The other exercises were okay.

CMYK
Neuling
Neuling

Beitrag von CMYK »

Hi,

I agree with my fellow students, I also worry because of this giant task.

I can understand that you included this kind of task, since this mainly is the goal of the class. But I don't think that an exam is the right place for it, since in my opinion it is a complex iterative process. We were working on the Settlers-exercise for several days redesigning it all the time to make it good. Now were are expected to create the design in our heads considering all the relationships, 5 design principles and all - I don't know how many - design patterns we have learned and then bring it directly from the brain to paper with the pressure that the success of the exam depends on it. Well, as it was said before, smaller subtasks (which principle is violated, how would you improve...) would have been better in my opinion.

Cheers,
Michael

eichberg
Dozentin/Dozent

Beitrag von eichberg »

As stated in the exam - the answers to the question 3b and 3c are evaluated w.r.t. your design. Furthermore, we really wanted to see that your are able to put everything into perspective.

imaier
Mausschubser
Mausschubser

Beitrag von imaier »

To extend a little on what Michael said: it wasn't one task with three questions following up on each other. Look at it that way: they were rather 4 subtasks roughly 34/4 = 8.5 points worth each (some a bit more, some a bit less), one for each component of the system. We joined the principles and patterns part because there is some overlap between those parts for each component and it is cumbersome to write about SOLID looking at the diagrams individually. In other words, even if your design has some flaws, you can still get a substantial amount of points for the SOLID and pattern parts. Also subtasks b and c were questions to "simply pick your brain" and are mostly about things you should have already thought about while you created your diagrams -- ideas we can't assess purely from subtask a. This circumstance is indicated by the second sentence of the exercise description.

Moreover, the exercise was nowhere near the quality of the Settlers exercise. In contrast to the latter, the exam exercise didn't use any unfamiliar language features, it was a lot less detailed since you did not have to deal with any implementation issues, and the wording is such that there are some clear keywords in the description - "use a builder" (builder pattern), "create a new editor" (creational pattern/factory), "can contain other resources" (composite) etc - that many of you seem to have recognized, judging from the diagrams I have seen.

Cheers,
Ingo

Antworten

Zurück zu „Archiv“