Assignment 3 - packet loss

Moderator: Praktikum: Internet

mjp
Neuling
Neuling

Assignment 3 - packet loss

Beitrag von mjp » 24. Jan 2008 23:22

Hello,

the first milestone wants us ot print out the packet loss and it also wants us to use NetMon to visualize the packet loss. By packet loss, I assume these are packets which were dropped by the drop handler, is that correct? Or is a "packet loss" ment to be packets which do not arrive at the receiver. What I mean is: In milestone two we implement an FEC using XOR. It may happen that (in case of bad luck) two out of three messages (by that I mean e.g. message 1, message2, and a XOR message of message 1 and message 2) are dropped by the drop handler and our handler will not be able to calculate the message and therefore the receiver will not receive a message. Which assumption is correct?

The second question: This depends how the first question is answered: If a message does not arrive at the receiver, because two out of three messages (see above) where droped, how should this be displayed in our program?

Yours,
mjp

erwin.ait
Erstie
Erstie

Re: Assignment 3 - packet loss

Beitrag von erwin.ait » 28. Jan 2008 20:11

The receiver should print out the loss rate observed at the receiver. If only a DropHandler is in the stack, then the measured loss rate should pretty much correspond with the loss rate set at DropHandler. If I add your FECHandler to the stack, then I should see that the measured loss rate goes down.

Yes, because DropHandler also simulates "burst errors" you may have to add a lot of redundancy to reach zero loss. (It is not a requirement to reach zero loss)

Antworten

Zurück zu „Praktikum: Internet“